Author Topic: Ancient baloch History  (Read 3193 times)

Offline AlRaeisi

• Junior Baask
  • I've got exams these days :) :D
Ancient baloch History
« on: May 14, 2012, 11:34:15 PM »
bismillah
Ancient baloch History
From the 1st century to the 3rd century CE, the region was ruled by the Pāratarājas (lit. "Pārata Kings"), a dynasty of Indo-Scythian or Indo-Parthian kings. The dynasty of the Pāratas is thought to be identical with the Pāradas of the Mahabharata, the Puranas and other Indian sources.

They are essentially known through their coins, which typically exhibit the bust of the ruler on the observe, with long hair within a headband), and a swastika within a Brahmi legend on the reverse (usually silver coins) or Kharoshthi (usually copper coins). The coins can mainly be found in the Loralai area of modern Pakistan.

Herodotus in 650 BCE describes the Paraitakenoi as a tribe ruled by Deiokes, a Persian king, in north-western Persia (History I.101). Arrian describes how Alexander the Great encountered the Pareitakai in Bactria and Sogdiana, and had them conquered by Craterus (Anabasis Alexandrou IV). The Periplus of the Erythraean Sea (1st century CE) describes the territory of the Paradon beyond the Ommanitic region, on the coast of modern Baluchistan.

The bulk of Baloch migrations from what was Persia was caused by the invasions of Genghis Khan into that region and the Balochies were given refuge in what was the greater Sindh region. Later infighting between Balochies resulted in clans led by sardars, which claimed regions within Sindh. In an effort to gain total control of the regions, the British named the area Balochistan and got the support of the Baloch Sardars who then were titled Nawabs. These Nawabs were to keep minor Baloch, Pathan and other factions in check. For the last 150 years the region has seen continual fighting to gain access to natural resources in an otherwise barren land.

Major kings

Yolamira, son of Bagavera (2nd century)
Arjuna, son of Yolamira (2nd century)
Hvaramira, another son of Yolamira (2nd century)
Mirahvara, son of Hvaramira (2nd century)
Miratakhma, another son of Hvaramira (2nd century)
The land also belonged to the ancient Hindu empires of King Ashoka and chandragupta maurya.

Busy with my final exams :) ..