Author Topic: ENGLISH SPELLING  (Read 3704 times)

Offline fairybaloch

• DIE 4 UR RIGHTS AND REPUTATION IF U R WILLING TO DIE!
  • Seniour Baask
  • i hate love
ENGLISH SPELLING
« on: March 28, 2011, 05:50:49 PM »
[assalam]
English spelling is a hard thing to master.pakistani and indian students get bewildered with english spelling and it is  one of the  stumbling blocks in the way to master in english.English people too face the same difficulty and confusion and special attention to the spelling in paid during school life by teachers..
  to professor MAX MULLUR,"english spelling is a national misfortune..it is unintelligible ,unhistorical and unteachable"..to SIR H.MARTIN,teh ex.pro- vice chancellor of aligrah university "english spelling is an unholy muddle.its chief fault it that it does not consistently represent english pronounciation'.
 spoken languge is always proceeds written language and sounds are given some definite meaning by those who speak it.these meaningful sounds are called words.when we write a word  infact we represent the sounds in symbols.when u read a word ur  eyes transmit the symbol to ur mind and it is turn into sound there.if the symbols are not turn into sounds in ur mind,you cannot understand what u read.
in phonology,the phonetic principle is that one written sign must represent only one definite sound.the principle of one sign one sound and one sign removes many difficulty and confusion.but in english the rule is constantly broken which creates confusion and make it difficult to master the spelling.
 instance of breaking the phonetic rule in english spellings are very common.. take "ch" for example.in cheetah, child and cherry it sounds as in china. in chemist,chimera and chasm it gives the sound "K" and in chauffeur, chovinism and chateau it gives the sound of sh."ou" gives different sound. in flour,flourish and flounder it gives three  different sounds "ei" gives different sounds in height,weight, and meiosis.."ough: sounds "off" in cough"uff" in enough ,"ow" in ploughs ,"oo" in through,"o" in dough "ock" in hough ..thus "ough" gives different sounds..

there are also complicated spellings like straight,campaign,champagne,half penny(haypny) dialogue,,sainfoin(san foam)..
MIRROR IS MY  BEST FRIEND BECOZ WHEN I CRY IT NEVER LAUGHS

Offline ღ° NaZgOl ღ

• ..~*~..
  • Creative Baask
  • GaZeLLe Of DeSeRt
Re: ENGLISH SPELLING
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 07:54:13 PM »
yh it is difficult ... but with practice we get better =D

my silence does not mean that im not aware of what goes on around me
but what goes on around me...deserves not being spoken about

Offline fairybaloch

• DIE 4 UR RIGHTS AND REPUTATION IF U R WILLING TO DIE!
  • Seniour Baask
  • i hate love
Re: ENGLISH SPELLING
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 07:10:08 PM »
yh it is difficult ... but with practice we get better =D
yuP ! Definitly Practise maKes persOn PerfecT! (ff)
MIRROR IS MY  BEST FRIEND BECOZ WHEN I CRY IT NEVER LAUGHS